Monday, May 28, 2012

Hey you in the plaid shorts!

My Midwestern, suburban, country club friend announced that she was going to play golf today.

In plaid shorts.

Oddly enough that sparked a memory...

(some of you are thinking "she's a little TOO odd")


A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I was a teenager on California's Central Coast.

My friends & I spent a lot of time at the beach.

Our favorite beach was Avila. The last of the warm water beaches (the further north you go it gets considerably chillier).


Not far from our beach, the road made an almost 180* curve around a small, picturesque golf course.

Now, you must understand, when we went to the beach we inevitably had 8-10 people crammed into either my regular cab pickup or someones 4 seater Datsun (ahh, the days before mandatory seatbelt laws...). 


We were also, as we have established, teenagers. Which, by definition means we were obnoxious extremely witty.

As soon as that little golf course came into view everybody's head stuck out a window & we started to encourage the patrons. ;)

"Hey you in the plaid shorts!" (at least 5 old men & 1 little old lady would look up at this one)

"The 9 iron! The 9 iron!"

"FORE!"

"Putt!"

"Caddy!"

We would continue to yell all these helpful tidbits (which pretty muchly summed up our entire knowledge of the game) all the way around the curve until the golf course disappeared from sight. Effectively shattering the peace sought after by those poor people who simply wanted a nice quiet day on the green.

Sigh.

One of my all-time-absolute-with-out-a-doubt favorite memories.

:)

Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Funny. :) I miss the days of piling all of your friends into one car and acting silly.

    And I hope my own kids never do such a thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete