Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Papa

My husband's grandfather "Papa" went home to be witht Jesus on Monday night.


He'd been not feeling well for close to a year. They finally figured out it was cancer last fall. He did some radiation treatments but they didn't help.


He was going downhill fast. Last Friday he started having trouble breathing and they called in hospice.


Monday morning we got the call that he probably wouldn't last thru the day.


We loaded up our kids & headed down to California.


We got there about 4-4:30.


Papa passed about 6:30.


He was at home. Surrounded by his family.


His wife of almost 60 years. His 3 daughters. 2 son-in-laws. 2 of his 7 grandchildren. 2 grandchildren-in-law. And 5 of his 16 great-grandchildren were next door.


It was so hard but such an amazing thing to be there for Papa & Grandma.


Papa was awesome. He & Grandma made me feel like I was 1 of their own. I loved having grandparents again.


Growing up I only had my Grandma, Mimi, and she has been gone for a long time.


Papa loved to go to yard sales, junk stores, antique stores.


 He & Grandma knew what my little collections were & they would often pick up a treasure for me.


 A few years ago they gave me this beautiful antique print in a gilt frame. It is of 2 horse called "Midnight and Moonbeam".


I have 2 other prints of the same horses which I have had for years.


They are 2 of my favorite things.


 Papa & Grandma knew how much I liked them & were always on the look out.


They finally found one on one of their many trips.


 They bought it. Packed it back home with them. And saved it until the next time they came up to see us.


 It hangs in my living room in a prominent spot.


I love it. Not just because of what it is, but because of what it represents.


They cared enough to know what I loved & want to get it for me.


They thought about me.


I will miss Papa very much.


I'm so grateful to have had him in my life for these last 15 years.


Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. May the Lord comfort you during this time.


    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your families loss, I will keep you in my prayers. That was beautiful that you were able to be there before he passed.


    Sandy

    ReplyDelete