Thursday, March 27, 2008

Goose Eggs

I've decided to further everyones Egg-ucation today . Let's do a comparison of eggs:


In the upper corner we have a goose egg. In the middle a big chicken egg and last a banty egg. Here is another view. And last but not least:Here is a yolk comparison. The banty yolk (on the right) is only slighlty smaller than the big chicken yolk. The goose yolk is roughly 3 times the size of the chicken. There is a noticeable taste difference as well. Goose eggs are much richer, they are excellent for baking. I like them scrambled but my husband does not. The turkeys haven't started laying yet or I would have included them. Turkey eggs are speckled and just a touch larger than the big chicken eggs. And they have tough shells too!


Did you know that "pastured eggs" (true free range not industry standard free range) have 1/3 less cholesterol than standard factory eggs? And 1/4 less saturated fat? Food for thought.


Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Great topic I wish I had some goose eggs to show but Ray ate them yesterday.. I don't like them I think they are like rubber.. We also have laying hens and bantams as well.. don't like bantams eggs either and layers they are ok..

    Thanks for sharing..

    BLessings Sister Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay - I am still learning about eggs and fowl, so I have a few questions.

    I know chickens just lay eggs willy-nilly, fertilized or not. I have heard that ducks will only lay fertilized eggs - if this is true, how do people eat them - wouldn't those eggs turn into ducks? what about geese? how do they lay eggs?

    ReplyDelete