Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bred!

Woo Hooo! We had the vet out today and my cow is bred! Yeehaw! I am very happy. She's about 50 days along, so in 5 months we have to dry her off and give her a 2 month break before she calves. The plan is to milk the goat while the cow is dry but that will be kind of pushing it for the goat. That means milking her thru the winter and goats usually dry up and breed then. The good thing is we bred her late this year. She won't kid until July, so that is well within the milking time frame just kind of the wrong season. Oh well, we will see how it goes. I don't think I could stomach store bought milk    


I've been running my weed eater like mad and the place looks great (if I do say so myself ) I just have to say, I love, love, love my electric Stihl weed eater. For most of our marriage we had gas powered weed eaters. I could NEVER get them to start. I have cried more tears of frustration and uttered more swear words trying to start those things than I care to recall.  I would always have to get my husband to start it for me and if he wasn't home I was just out of luck. So frustrating. I kept asking for an electric one but my husband always said "NO" I think they offend his sensibilitys. But the thing he is, he hardly ever uses the thing. I am the chief weed eater. So a few years ago after yet another day of NOT being able to start the silly  gas powered monster, I thru a fit. I begged. I pleaded. I whined. I was a bad wife  He finally gave in and bought me my Stihl. No messing around with gas and oil and spark plugs, I just plug it in and away we go. Have I mentioned how much I love that thing?


I found a wonderful surprise in the garden today



My asparagus is alive! I had just about given up hope. I was even considering pulling them out  but today little skinny shoots are popping up all over. Yay! My spinach is growing gang busters



Mmmm. Yummy fresh spinach. So good. And last but not least, we put up the split rail fence in front of the house



Not the greatest picture but you get the idea.


Blessings.

3 comments:

  1. I too have shed my fair share of tears over weed eaters..but we still have a gas one...we have too many acres to weed eat, so impossible to have an electric one....love the photos of your garden.


    Have a great weekend.


    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem, there is a spritual side to M&M's, we call it, moment by moment, giving your thoughts to God. Well, that doesn't really reply to my goodie bag. lol

    Don't buy store milk unless it's almost free. I encourage you to try to do without. The creamry I ordered from was a flop, so we'll be just doing witout it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog! :) I would love to be able to walk out my back door and pick vegetables.....I'm a little jealous.......but living downtown has its advantages too!

    Melissa, aka Texas Girl

    ReplyDelete